Being in love is an emotional roller coaster ride during the best circumstances. A long distance relationship adds an extra element of difficulty to the mix. Whether the distance is caused by a job transfer, military deployment, family emergency or any other reason, if you are motivated to keep the romance alive, you can.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Long Distance Relationship
Being apart for a while isn’t always a bad thing in a romantic relationship. It gives you time apart to think about the other person and to get back to who you were before you were involved in being part of a couple.
Advantages of being apart include:
- Without the other person there all the time, you won’t take each other for granted.
- You have time to do things with your friends.
- You see each other during a stressful time to determine character.
- You learn to trust.
Disadvantages of being apart include:
- You won’t have the other person there to lean on.
- You don’t always know what the other person is doing.
- The lack of physical contact may be depressing and cause loneliness.
Related: Emotional Independence: Why Being A Strong Independent Woman Can Hurt Your Relationship
Communication is Essential in Any Long Distance Relationship
Even when distance drives you farther apart in miles, if you want to keep your relationship going, the two of you need to communicate regularly. If possible, have some type of contact every day or every other day. Try not to let a whole week go by without some form of communication, unless one of you is on the front lines of a war making that impossible.
Ways to communicate long distance:
- Talk on the phone.
- Email each other on a regular basis.
- Use text messaging whenever possible.
- Chat via Skype or some other audio-visual method.
- Write old fashioned love letters and send them in the mail.
Long Distance Relationship: How To Have a Date ?
If you and the person you love have a common interest, find a way to participate in it at the same time. You can text message or talk to each other and pretend you’re together.
Ideas for things you can do together while apart:
- Watch your favorite TV show and text during commercials.
- Watch a movie on Netflix at the same time.
- Eat a meal together and send self-snapped pictures via your cell phones.
- Play online games with each other.
- Choose a book by an author you both like, read a chapter each night, and talk about it later.
- Go on a virtual vacation or tour together. Visit a city online and take a virtual stroll using the street view. IM or chat about what you see.
Surprise the Person You Love In Your Long Distance Relationship
Nothing beats the element of surprise in a romantic relationship to get the heart fluttering again. Do something the other person doesn’t expect. Some things may require quite a bit of advanced planning, involving someone else or adding another item to your budget.
Related: True Love: How Sexual Massages Can Improve Your Relationship
Ways to surprise someone:
- Send a package filled with favorite treats.
- Hire a service to deliver a romantic message.
- Show up for a surprise visit. This can be expensive and may involve bringing the other person’s friends in on the plan.
Regardless of the reason you are in a long distance relationship, you can find ways to keep the spark in the romance. Understand the advantages and learn to work around the disadvantages. Maintain open communication and occasionally surprise the other person.